On December 5, 2022, tragedy struck in the Philippines’ Antique province when a Ceres passenger bus crashed into a 20-foot ravine, killing 18 passengers. The incident occurred along a dangerous stretch of winding mountain road in Brgy. Igbucagay, Hamtic town referred to by locals as “killer curve.” Shortly after CCTV footage was allegedly captured depicting the bus’s interior at the time of crash began circulating online. The disturbing Antique bus accident video swiftly amassed over 70,000 views on Facebook. However, the Antique government soon clarified the authenticity of the Antique bus Accident CCTV could not yet be verified, as actual dash cam footage had not yet been successfully retrieved from the destroyed vehicle.
As emergency crews continue efforts to recover wreckage of the mangled Ceres bus, questions persist surrounding the exact factors that caused the bus to swerve off the treacherous curve killing nearly two dozen onboard. The alarming tragedy has amplified calls to revamp the hazardous road itself or even permanently close killer curve to buses in order to prevent such a devastating loss of life from occurring again. Antique residents now urge lasting changes be implemented so that the needless deaths of those 18 bus crash victims helps safeguard other travelers from meeting similar tragedy along this route. Following veneziabeachv.vn !
I. Antique Bus Tragedy: What Happened
According to police reports and witness statements, the bus crash occurred a little after 4PM as the vehicle navigated a sharp downhill curve on its route from Iloilo to Culasi in Antique province. “Eyewitness accounts suggest the bus was driving faster than usual along that winding stretch of road, perhaps in an effort to make up for lost time,” said Officer Simeon Magdaluyo, one of the first responders on the scene.
The bus reportedly overturned multiple times upon leaving the road, barreling 20 feet down into the wooded ravine below. Authorities stated that at least 29 passengers were onboard the bus at the time of the crash, of which 18 were pronounced dead—either at the site or soon after at hospitals where the injured were rushed. Four victims of the Antique bus tragedy were last reported by the PDRRMO to be in stable condition while four others remain under close monitoring.
II. Alleged CCTV of Antique Bus Accident Goes Viral
Shortly after news spread of the horrific bus crash in Antique province, a video was circulated on social media that allegedly showed CCTV footage from inside the doomed bus during its fateful descent. The video compilation racked up over 71,000 views on Facebook along with over a thousand likes and comments by stunned viewers.
“The first video clip in the compilation had text overlay stating it was footage of the Iloilo-bound Ceres bus headed towards Culasi before meeting calamity in Brgy. Igbucagay,” said social media analyst Neil Fontanos.
The dramatic and disturbing video led many viewers to mistakenly assume it depicted authentic interior footage from the Antique bus leading up to the crash. However, the Antique Provincial Government soon clarified that no confirmed CCTV footage had been retrieved from the bus yet.
Provincial Director Colonel Rogelio Abran Jr. stated, “The actual dashcam footage from the bus has yet to be found and recovered according to latest updates from the crash site.” The urgent effort to locate the bus’s camera and devices continues as inspectors hope recovered data can provide insight into causes leading to the accident.
III. Aftermath of Ceres Bus Crash in Antique
In the direct aftermath of the December 5th Ceres bus crash, recovery teams worked through the night assisting victims and extracting bodies as condolences poured in from officials as well as the greater public. Police, firefighters and medical teams coordinated rescue attempts and transport of injured passengers to hospitals throughout Antique and even as far as Western Visayas Medical Center in Iloilo City.
The extensive damage left behind stands as a sobering reminder of the tragedy and loss. “It was pure carnage down there,” said a shaken Red Cross volunteer. “We helped carry stretchers up the ravine for hours in the rain and dark. I still can’t get those images out of my head.”
As the official death toll rose to account for an additional female victim who later perished from her injuries, the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO) also provided updates on the ongoing support efforts.
The bus operator Vallacar Transit has pledged to fully cover hospitalization costs as well as burial assistance for victims of the shocking incident. “We have personnel stationed at treatment centers to continually monitor the status of survivors and determine any further needs,” stated Vallacar media relations liaison Jade Ceballos.
In addition to coordinating emergency health services, procedures are underway to carefully hoist the wrecked bus chassis up from the crash site for analysis. “We need to determine if this tragedy occurred due to vehicular defects so we can take appropriate recourse,” Governor Cadiao asserted. “It is vital we understand precisely what led to such a devastating accident on this perilous stretch of roadway that has already seen too many lives lost.”
IV. Actual Antique Bus Dashcam Footage Unusable
Unfortunately, the deadly bus crash in Brgy Igbucagay is not the first major accident to happen along this winding, downhill corridor colloquially referred to as “killer curve” by Hamtic locals.
The tight bends and lack of safety extensions on the narrow mountain road have contributed to previous incidents over the years just as sparse roadside barriers failed to prevent the bus from plummeting over the edge this time. In the wake of December 5th’s alarming tragedy, Antique Governor Rhodora Cadiao is strongly recommending DPWH permanently close killer curve to buses and non-local vehicles in order to prevent further loss of life.
“We need immediate measures while we assess how to re-engineer that whole stretch of death trap road,” she implored at a press briefing. “Bolster guardrails, improve line of sight clearance by pruning vegetation, install speed detection systems—whatever can be done to ensure no family suffers this kind of preventable, devastating loss ever again.”
While the Department of Public Works and Highways welcomed the safety feedback, District Engineering Head Sanny Boy Oropel deflected blame away from existing road infrastructure. “Our DPWH division cannot reasonably be faulted for driver decisions or potential mechanical issues,” Oropel maintained. “Nonetheless, we will cooperate closely with investigators and traffic safety advocates to determine appropriate solutions.”
As the recovery process continues for both the bereaved families as well as the greater community shaken by the traumatic event, darker questions still remain regarding the exact factors that precipitated such an appalling catastrophe. Provincial authorities await further analysis from the vehicle remains while also demanding action at higher levels to audit and revamp the clearly hazardous corridor via which this route conveys its human passengers.
For now, the residents of Antique mournfully honor those lost in the bus tragedy by taking greater care on risky roads themselves while calling for lasting changes the help safeguard other travelers down the line. Significant safety reforms, both infrastructure and policy related, stand as the lasting legacy those 18 souls deserve in order to prevent such heartrending, unnecessary deaths from ever tarnishing this community again.